Today, I had a "rude awakening". One of my 'more favoured' student's parents made some unpleasant insinuations due to some miscommunication on the part of the admin. Though it was no fault of anyone, she shouldn't have tried to pull her weight around by saying things like "I'm rather disappointed because we have been a loyal customer at the school for many years". Well duh... I just dislike people who say that, ok, I'm not a business-minded person, but ethically speaking, I really don't care if you're a customer for 10 years or 1 day, you will jolly well get the same treatment from me. Whether I treat you any extra nicer will depend on how nice a person you are and how you command respect. I don't care if you are a rich tai tai, or a young student from a middle class family.
This incident just goes to show that you really shouldn't get too attached to any particular student. Their behaviour, or more accurately, as the case almost always is, their parents' behaviour will only hurt and disappoint you. (Usually the students are quite "innocent", they're just exactly how you see them, no "layers" and their actions without "double meaning"). The more you like the student, the more hurt you will be when their parents turn around and "bite" you. On the other hand, if it's a student I don't like, I couldn't care less if he argues with me or even withdraws from my class.
I suppose this is the same principle one would have about keeping distances from people in general and having relationships. A cynic would think that a close relationship is not worth having cos your partner might hurt you and it's not worth the heartache. But are you willing to risk it, not even giving it a chance, who knows you might get immense joy out of the relationship... after all what is life and happy moments if not shared with someone. Similarly, what would teaching be if it is not about looking forward to your favourite students and having a good laugh with them and seeing their playing progress. Wouldn't it be quite meaningless if every student that comes in is just another name in your file, characterless and without emotional connection with you? My teaching life would be so boring without the Ting Tings, Evaleens and Nicholases.
While it is quite a parallel comparison, attachments with people and attachments to students, I am more willing to take a chance with my students than with people. After all students I only see them once a week. =P
But nevertheless, I should always be prepared to "let go emotionally". Who knows when they might withdraw from the class due to some unforseen reason, or change schedule or I go back to Penang. But on the other hand, this principle applies to relationships with people to eh?
So the conclusion is: It's ok to get close, but not too close. Things are impermanent. Everything comes to and end.
But on the other hand, the end is not permanent either. It might be the beginning of something new........
Labels: Dear Diary...
0 comments:
Post a Comment