Chatted with Bah today. Was telling her how I enjoyed reading the blog Afghanistantastic which she recommended on her own blog. I said it made me realise that there's so much more I can do with y life, that I should live life to the fullest. There's so much scope, so much I can do if I just dare to dream.
Bah then went on to say that I can do some volunteer work at an orphanage or something. I explained I am already doing that, actually. Every Thursday after lessons with Teacher, I go off to this school for the intellectually disabled and give them keyboard lessons. Some other teachers find it a drag, but I actually enjoy it cos I find it a refreshing change from being coped up in a teeny piano studio all day facing students with kiasu parents (Ok, not all of them are like that. Some are actually very nice). Anyway, back to my point. Although these kids learn real slow, sometimes I really wonder if they even learn anything at all. But it's ok, cos the main thing is that they are happy to see you even just that once a week, and happy to make noise banging the keyboard, which is just great. You know that you are appreciated and your lesson is a success because you made them happy and smile. No pressure at all from them. They don't bug you to take ABRSM exams =P
Which brings me to my blog title. I tell myself, the objective of every lesson is to make my student smile. If they have smiled, I consider the lesson a success. So what if they have not learnt anything, at least they smiled and was happy a bit.
Bah, in case you're wondering why I'm writing all these down, it's just in case one day down the road IF I get disillussioned by my job (which I really pray does not happen!), I can read back on this and recall what makes me love this job so much and the simple joys that make this job so wonderful.
Anonymous said...
Hehe, I think what you're doing is a really good thing. Keep it up.:)
8:28 AM